Below is a collection of links to support your learning in and out of class.
- Study Jams: Earth’s Atmosphere
- Earth’s atmosphere layers explained with cartoon video.
- Earth’s atmosphere layers research site from National Center for Science Education
- Watch a weather balloon launch here
- Foldable support: What is in each layer of the atmosphere?
WATER CYCLE AND CLOUDS
- Study Jams: Water Cycle
- Window to the Universe home page for all things atmosphere and weather
- How is energy transferred within to Earth and within the atmosphere? This diagram answers this question.
- How are clouds formed? Amazing video with CGI enhancements.
- Study Jams: Clouds and Precipitation
- What are the different types of clouds? Question answered in a video.
- Cloud Notes Resource
- Clouds memory game
AIR MASSES, FRONTS, WEATHER
- Study Jams: Air Pressure and Wind
- Study Jams: Air Masses and Fronts
- Study Jams: Weather Instruments
- Study Jams: Climate and Weather
- Weather symbols for maps here
- Study Jams: Severe Storms
- Make your own tornado tube here
- Think forecasting hurricanes is easy? Check out this interactive site to determine the factors that affect the track of a hurricane.
- Hurricane Irma making landfall in British Virgin Islands as reported by CNN. Not responsible for advertisements CNN places on its website.
- Why does air pressure change with altitude? This website gives some very detailed explanations for this question.
- How does temperature work?
- How does pressure create wind?
- Thunderstorm basics. Includes links for all major storms.
- Station Model. Type in the weather conditions to see how to draw the symbol on a weather map or record info for a station.
- Local wind speed and direction affected by topography
- Want to dig deeper into global winds? This youtube video does just that. (Not responsible for youtube commercials.)